Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl

Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions, #1)
Title: Confessions of an Angry Girl
Author: Louise Rozett
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 266
Synopsis: Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
 
Review:
 
"And suddenly, the reason I’ve been so mad at everyone and everything for the past few weeks is very clear to me: I don’t understand any of this."
 
 
 
    When I first picked up Confessions of an Angry Girl I thought it was going to be a guilty pleasure revenge type of read but it turned out to be a heart wrenching, realistic, hopeful, coming of age story and it was so so good.
   The book follows a girl named rose during her freshman year of high school. Over the course of the school year Rose has to deal with many things like her best friend Tracy who is caught up with her popular cheerleading squad and whether or not she should go all the way with her boyfriend, the hot upperclassmen Jamie who Rosie is crushing on big time, and the evil jealous popular Regina who is out to get Rose for liking her boyfriend. But the biggest thing Rose deals with during the year is the aftermath of her dads sudden death.
   After her father dies it leaves her family in ruins. Her brother has left for college so now it is just her and her therapist mother, who seems to give advice to her patients but can't apply her advice to her own life and things at home no longer feel very welcoming to Rose. Throughout the book Rose can't seem to figure out how she feels about her fathers death and how to react to it. She has walled up all her pain inside of her that all that comes out is rage which gets her into trouble. Once she finally comes to terms with herself and she and her mother start to accept reality and move on but still with her fathers memory you can start to see new happy beginnings.
   I really liked this book. Rose was a great protagonist with a great voice and she made you feel like you could relate to her and her feelings. I personally liked all the characters it was a great mix of well rounded personalities, but I was very tempted to punch her best friend Tracy in the face sometimes. I would recommend this book to all teenage girls. You get to see the growth of a teenage girl in this book but also many common issues that everyone experiences in high schools everywhere. This book was heart wrenching and emotional but not overwhelming so it was the perfect fix for me.
   I thought this was a great fast read and will be picking up the sequel without a doubt!

4 Stars ****

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment