Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review: The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave #1
Pages: 457
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopia
Publisher: Putnam
Publication Date: May 7th 2013
Source: Library
 
“I had it all wrong," he says. "Before I found you, I thought the only way to hold on was to find something to live for. It isn't. To hold on, you have to find something you're willing to die for.”
Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
 
Review:
 
I know most people will probably disagree with me but I am going to be honest and come out and say that I was very disappointed with The 5th Wave.

I was told that this book was an action packed intense read but I beg to differ. For me a lot of the book just kept dragging on. First of all I thought the first part of the book took too much time talking about the past to give us background. But even once we started talking in present day I still found parts of it very dull. I personally thought that the pace didn't pick up till almost the last 100 pages.

If you are planning on reading this book I am warning you that it is written in alternating voice. I have no problem with alternating voice, actually I love it. But nobody told me the book was written this way and there was no way it was indicated in the book so all of a sudden one minute I'm reading one story and then I was transported to a whole different plot line and I was very confused until I figured out that it was a different narrator.

There are so many different concepts in this book to do with the alien invasion. Once I got all of the concepts I was fine but while I was still trying to figure them all out, parts of the book were confusing to me. For example like I said earlier they spent a lot of time on background information, I mean A LOT of time on it. In other words there was a lot to digest in this book.

The characters however ended up growing on me. They were well thought-out and as a result came across very real. Cassie was a great heroine for the book. She was brave, tough, smart, but was motivated by love. My favorite character though was by far Evan. Evan is the love interest in the book and I sure LOVED him. The scenes between Evan and Cassie were my favorite in the whole book. They were also the only ones that caught my full attention.

I will read the sequel for the book but it will honestly only be so I can find out what happens with Evan and Cassie.
3 Stars ***

 

No comments:

Post a Comment