Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Review: Winterkill

Winterkill
Title: Winterkill
Author: Kate A. Boorman
Pages: 323
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Publisher: Amulet
Publication Date: September 9th 2014
 
Synopsis Via Goodreads:
Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.

When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next.
 
 
REVIEW:
WOW!
This book is scary good.
I was entranced from the moment I opened to the first page.
Winterkill was by far one of the best books published this past year.
The world of Winterkill is spectacular. It is fully and beautifully crafted. I was pulled in and wanted to know everything about this society. As far as the citizens in this village know everyone was killed off by some sort of creature/monster that they call,  the malmaci. Generations ago the survivors traveled to this land to create a safe place where they could live. In order for their survival there are very strict rules and people who commit wayward acts are sent to their deaths for the "good" of the village's safety.
This book has an incredible essence around it. It gave me so many chills running up my spine. It is creepy, dark, thrilling, and spellbinding. I literally could not stop reading. There is also so much mysterious things happening in the book, I just needed to know what the truth was. I want to say so many things about this book but in order for me not to ruin it for you, I can't! Let me just say that there is so much more to the story then the synopsis says.  I am glad about that though because I was not expecting the ending that I came upon. Just trust me when I say that the truth revealed in this novel is a story you do not want to miss.
There is a romance in this book but it was the perfect kind. It is fully developed and swoon worthy but it did not take away from the suspense or point of the novel at all. Just enough was added in to give us a love story without distracting us from this breathtaking world and plot.
Emmeline the main character was also fantastic. She is a courageous and adventurous girl. She fought for what she believed in, her family, and her village. She is a curious 16 year old determined to discover a better world.
Winterkill was a phenomenal read from start to finish. It is one of those books that gives you this chilling, eerie, yet beautiful essence around you throughout the book and long after.
I highly recommend this book for everyone. The moment you become part of Emmeline's world you will be completely captivated.


1 comment:

  1. Aww yay! I'M GLAD YOU LOVED THIS ONE. I wasn't a huge fan, but maybe that's just me? ;P

    ReplyDelete